Thursday, November 20, 2008

Okay, so the economy is really in the toilet

Or why else would Forbes magazine release a top 10 list of Hollywood's Hottest Tots? REALLY?

That's creepy. Okay, we're a celebrity obsessed culture or whatever, I get it. I read that junk at the hairdresser or dentists office, too. But the toddler children of celebrities? We're supposed to be interested in them now? Isn't there kind of a lot going on in the world, like the new President Elect or the war or the stock market or the freakish increase in pirates off of Somalia or that Cheney just got indicted? Or our own lives?

I have my own theories as to why we have so much celebrity "news" in our culture and it involves conspiracies designed to take our attention away from the mistakes of the current administration. However, I understand why people are interested; we see these people in movies or on television, we feel like we "know" them, we form weird attachments to them ( cough* Brad and Jen *cough) , they have seemingly glamorous, larger than life lives, blah blah blah. But what have their children done to even warrant our passing glance, much less a Forbes Top 10 list? It's just plain wack-o. They are children, people. Their parents may have chosen a career that places them in the public eye, but they did not. They aren't promoting an album or a movie, they're having their diapers changed and throwing temper tantrums and getting runny noses just like everybody else's kid.

Even I can't be bothered to look at a tabloid while sitting under the dryer with my hair in foils if it has a celebrity child on the front. I can't even stand to read regular magazines with a child on the front. I have one. I know a ton of them. What would I be interested in some random kid I've never met? I don't care what they eat, what they wear, what their favorite activity at the playground is. Stop wasting my time with these celebrity kids when you could be showing pictures of stars without make-up or who has had secret plastic surgery. Thanks.

No comments: