Friday, November 28, 2008

I guess I'm sort of scared?

For the past week, my hands have been aching terribly and I've been fairly listless and unusually tired. With each passing day it seemed I could add on a new body part to the ache list. It's really painful to the point where sometimes I can't even get things open. I've also started waking-up with a ferocious headache that eventually subsides after I take aleve, but throughout the day I get a blinding flash of pain in my head that's so intense I literally cannot see for a moment and become off-balance. And then it goes away as quickly as it comes. Four days ago, it occurred to me that maybe all of my aches were due to a fever. Sure enough, I had a very low-grade temp of 99.4. Every day, it varies, but it's been consistently between 99.4- 99.7. I usually am fairly stiff-upper lip when I get sick. When you're a mom, you just don't have the luxury of anything else. And I get sinus infections so damn frequently it's gotten to the to the point where I no longer have to go to the doctors, they just call in a prescription for me.

Last night, however, my body was aching so badly that every time I changed position, it felt like I was lying on a broken rib. But as I have no other symptoms, I just didn't think there was any point in going to the doctor's. Duke convinced me to go, because my symptoms are so random and weird and I'm so run down.

And damn if the doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me. They couldn't explain the fever or the aches or the headaches. So they took a million vials of blood and are testing me for everything.

On one hand, it would be great if there was an explanation, it could be treated, and it goes away. On the other hand, it would be even better if there is nothing wrong, it's just one of those wack-o things and goes away. But when you are sitting in that chair with all of those vials of your blood lined up and the long list of tests they're going to perform, it's pretty scary when your mind starts doing the "what-if." Driving home, I kept trying to tell myself maybe this was all in my head, but then I would think of that crazy flash of blinding pain or how much my hands ache and I know that pain is real. And then you start going over all the things that could possibly cause this.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

So sorry you're feeling so badly! I hope they figure out soon what is wrong... and hopefully it's something minor and will be gone in no time. Whatever you do, don't google your symptoms. It's always bad news and usually much worse than the actual problem! Believe, I know. :)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest that it might be Lyme's disease but I see by a later post that you are already thinking that. I hope you're feeling better!
Steve