Monday, November 17, 2008

New respect for moms who work from home.

I worked part-time today. From home. On my own schedule, more or less. And I was running my ass off. I still did my Mommy/house person job. I just did another job as well. I got up, had coffee, wrote a little, got dressed, made Mort breakfast, coaxed him into getting dressed, got our teeth brushed, gathered the laundry, threw a load of wash in, took him to school, dropped off the library books,went grocery shopping, came home, started editing an article,put away the groceries, left to go pick Mort up from school, came home, finished editing the article, made Mort lunch, emptied the dishwasher, threw another load of wash in, cleaned up the lunch dishes, balanced the checkbook and paid the bills, made bread with Mort and then he "helped me" shred all the paperwork I've had piling up for months(don't ask me why he thinks shredding is fun. He just does.), then the motor on the shredding machine burnt out, I helped Mort write his numbers and letters (I think he's having trouble because he's mainly a lefty but uses both hands equally, so sometimes he has lovely writing, other times it's hard to read), discovered Mort knows how to add(when did that happen?!?)colored with him, played two games of Zingo and three games of Go Fish, folded clothes and changed the sheets on the beds, fed the dog, edited another article while Duke gave Mort a bath, got him ready for bed and read him stories, talked to Duke for 5 minutes, used Color Oops on my hair, got a shower and am now ready for bed. Shoot, I forgot to get the mail. Oh well. Tomorrow.

But I LOVE my job. I'm good at it, it's fun and it's like a giant puzzle, trying to walk the line between cleaning up the author's work and keeping their voice intact. It's challenging and exciting and I feel so accomplished at the end of a piece when I've taken a bunch of words and arranged them into a proper article. I love it.

And my hair is no longer black. So, that's exciting as well. Hey, I just realized the owl that's been so noisy hasn't made a peep for awhile. Successful hunt? Or found a mate? Maybe both. Good-night owl.

2 comments:

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Congrats on the new job... and for stripping the black from your hair! It was a good day!