Monday, November 24, 2008

Moms know

I have lost count of the number of times I have known there was something wrong with my child from a scratch on his face to a lingering "cold", to a rash that "just means he has sensitive skin" that every well-meaning person around me insisted was nothing. But I knew in my gut that it wasn't normal and I took him to the doctor only to discover that his small scratch was infected and had spread inside his nose or that his teensy cold was a double ear infection or his rash was a severe reaction to playing in a public sandbox. (Yeah, just think about what goes on in there. Um, EWW.) People can say what they will, but a momma knows when her baby is in need. I can look at him and just tell. I know when he has a fever without a thermometer, I know when he has an ear infection by the look in his eyes. 

I don't know if all mothers have this, but I am willing to bet that they do. But then again, I can also tell when other people are sick, because I can smell it on them. Quite a gift to have, eh? Yeah, it's gross. I'm like a German Shepard that can sniff out seizures and cancer or illegal drugs. Or steak.

No comments: