Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...well, some years it is.

This has been the loveliest of Christmas seasons. I have to say that I think it may be the lack of presents this year. There just wasn't that pressure to find 9 or 10 perfect items for a dozen different people. There wasn't the endless wrapping, trying to come up with new ideas for said wrapping so that the gift presentation would be even more original and enticing than the previous year. No trying to get that one big gift to knock Mort's socks off before he loses interest in it before the New Year hits. Instead, he's getting four smallish gifts that he's been dropping subtle hints about for months:

Mort: Mommy, can I tell you something?

Me: Sure, sweets. Go ahead.

Mort: I really really really wish I had a Ben 10 watch.

Me: Mmm. Don't forget to finish your carrots.

Mort: What's 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 2?

Me: I have no idea.

Mort: Now is later. Can I have a snack?

Instead of doing the mad dash of Christmas, we've had a slew of parties and celebratory outings and functions where we've made food and just enjoyed the company of our friends and family. It's been fantastic.

And one of my friends is getting a puppy on the 27th! Very few things in this world smell better than a puppy.

And the television hasn't been turned on for two days. Instead, we've just been reading and listening to music and using a hole puncher on miscellaneous pieces of paper.

And I splurged and finally bought pots and pans that won't kill us with their nonstick coating and/or aren't leftover from Mike's college days. We were down to one pan. Positively un-American.

And we received a new documentary in amongst the Christmas cards today.

And Mort and I came up with a new dance for the Charlie Brown music in the grocery store today. Not one person gave us a dirty look, either. See, it is a lovely time of year.





No comments: