Thursday, October 30, 2008

Trick or treat, beeyotch.

I am so very glad that daylight savings time is this Sunday. I'd rather it got dark early than wake-up in the darkness. I need my sunlight. I'm like a reverse vampire. It seems like it's been forever and that daylight savings time should have happened quite some time ago. Lo and behold, I just read that this is the longest period ever recorded leading up to daylight savings time. You probably already knew that. I just can't keep up with everything. I've been extremely busy negotiating with my husband about which treats we're giving out. I wanted to do healthy. He wanted to go whole hog straight up candy.

His rationale is that our kid's not eating it and that when kids go trick or treating, they WANT to get all those forbidden treats. And I do have to agree. However, I wanted to give out bags of pretzels and boxes of raisins. I know, I'm the most unfun mom ever. And my rationale was that if our son filled his trick or treat bag with those kinds of treats, he could eat to his heart's content. The compromise is a big bowl combined with pretzels and various no-holds barred candy that the kiddos can choose from. Yes, I'm well-aware we're going to have ALOT of pretzels at the end of the night.

When I was a kid, there was a house in our neighborhood that we never went to because its owner would stand in the doorway in his undershirt handing out handfulls of free floating potato chips from a bag. But there was another house that gave out candy apples. I could never find that house. I saw kids with the apples, so I know it wasn't a neighborhood urban legend. Those were the days when you could go trick or treating freely without the parentals. You were safe. Or at least we didn't know enough back then to not be safe.

I think Mort will have to be 17 before he can go trick or treating without me. Although at that age he;ll probably be at a party, so I'll have to stalk him outside the house's window or hide behind trees if it's up in the mountains like in the days of yore. Y'know, just to make sure he's not eating too much candy.

1 comment:

Kerouaced said...

Dear God, was that potato chip guy Steve Miller's dad?