Monday, October 20, 2008

The time has come...




I guess we must have had one too many chilly nights in a row, because all of my lovely, seemingly hearty veggies are suddenly looking pretty pickled and petrified on their vines. I guess I need to tackle the garden take-down. 

The rabbits will be bummed, though. They won't have the opportunity to outwit me at every turn and get through every barricade I erect and evade my clueless terrier. How is it that she can hear the UPS truck if it's in the next town over but she doesn't notice a rabbit sitting a foot away?

I'll tell you why: it's because she's smart. Terriers are known for being bright and Stella has evolved to a level where she has actually overcome her own instincts. Why should she waste her precious time chasing after a mangy flea ridden rodent when she can stretch out in a patch of sun-filled grass and wait for her people to bring her dinner? I mean, she's killed before and quite frankly, it's easier to let your human serve up the chow. And it tastes better. Not as much grizzle.

No comments: