Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The Happening" was not only bad, it contradicted its own message

Okay, say people are under attack from the plants of the Earth because of our absolute disregard for nature and our systematic destruction of all that lives here. Then why would a person who lived with no electricity and who grew all her own food and took nothing more from the land than what she needed to survived be killed by the plants? Wouldn't that person be the one that got to live? Just a bad movie. Interesting premise. Bad movie.

I am unfortunately an intolerant person. And what's more, I have no desire to change. I find myself infuriated by people who disagree with me on topics such as same-sex marriage and a woman's right to choose. Now I know that some of my best friends most likely disagree with me 100%. For some reason, that's okay, because I love them and they love me and I know that their hearts are pure and we simply do not discuss such things. But as for people I know on only a superficial level or don't know at all? I feel a tightening in my chest and stomach and I am overwhelmed by contempt for their ignorance and intolerance and hate.  I want to feel sorry for them. I want to believe in their right to their own opinion. I really do. But I cannot. Which makes me as intolerant as they. Except that I'm right. And unfortunately, I live in the midst of a great wash of hate. 

I went to a Halloween Parade the other night. (yes, there's no rhyme or reason to what is flying through my fingers today.) It was beyond horrible.  Which makes me sad. I thought it used to be decent? When my husband and I lived across the river, we went to a Halloween Parade when I was pregnant and it was so good and we drank hot chocolate and ate soft pretzels and laughed and clapped and dreamed of the day we would share the experience with our wee one. I don't know when that day will happen.

It's chilly today, but beautiful. I think we might try to take the dog for a walk at a nature preserve before all the leaves drop.

No comments: