Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is 4am an improvement?


Self-fulfilling fear. When I went to bed last night, I was worried I would awake at an unreasonable hour. Surprise! It's going to be a busy day, so I was fairly certain I wouldn't last more than five hours and I was right. Grrr.

At least it's now 5, so I can feel justified turning on the coffee. And I have a pre or post gymnastics Starbucks excuse.

And yes, owl hooting outside the window, I can hear you. Don't think I'm giving Stella up without a fight, though.

And while I'm trying to be Sally Positive Thinker, my back doesn't hurt today as I had feared it would after all my shoveling and hoeing and ...I don't even know the name of one of the tools I was using to work on taking down the garden. It's not close to being done, but after four wheelbarrow trips, my back was starting to protest. It's been acting up again lately and I have no idea why. I had to get my prescription refilled for the first time in a loooong time and it was so bad that I couldn't even lift Mort into a proper sleeping position when I was tucking him in the other night.

It's such an annoying injury. There's no cause for it as far as any doctor can tell me and I don't fit the criteria for someone with a herniated disc (ie, no dramatic accident,too young, too thin, too active and too fit to have this happen--and yet it did). I was treated for it three years ago at this point and put in my months and months at physical therapy (could have lived in Italy for 2 years for what that cost, thank-you health insurance company) and I do the damn exercises four times a day and avoid sitting (as they tell me that seems to be a trigger for me) and still it can suddenly knock me out of commission. I gave up my once ever present high heels (the nine month pregnant woman wearing 4 inch heeled sandals to Lamaze? That was me.) , I gave up my yoga (save for the cobra pose I have to do while reading or watching a movie so that I don't offend my back by sitting), what more am I supposed to do to keep this from happening? Ugh. Anyway, I didn't mean to devote so many words to a jerky disc that's let me down.

I'm whipping up a batch of organic turkey chili and wheat bread for my wonderful friends today, for which I am very excited. Because Duke works from home, I spend an obscene amount of time in their homes (thank goodness or else I'd go crazy) and never have the chance to reciprocate their always lovely hospitality. I think the last time I had everyone here was the Christmas Party! So, I'm glad to be able to feed you guys today and provide a place for us to hang. But don't think I'm turning on the heat. You know how I feel about that. Just bring an extra sweater. You'll be fine. Builds character.

Some people in my house, however, are big wimps and think heat is more than a luxury item. Some people complain that they're cold or that the kid is shivering and turn on the heat. They just need to subscribe to the patented JEK school of life. No heat means you can leave that dish of ice cream beside your bed and it will still be waiting for you, nice and frozen when you awake. They'll thank me someday when they toughen-up. People who grow-up with heated houses are soft. Next thing you know, they want to go to the doctor when they're sick. Subscribe to The JEK School of Life and you won't even get sick. You will be able to live on coffee, Cheeze-Its and Schlitz and be as strong and healthy as a ...well, I'd say horse, but aren't most of them pretty doped-up with shit? Alrighty then, horse it is.

Sheep go to Heaven. Goats go to hell. Hey, man, I don't make the rules. It is what it is.



No comments: