Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy 80 degree Fall!








When Duke and I (mainly Duke because surprisingly enough, I have another sinus infection--go figure!) dismantled our deck gazebo this weekend, we discovered the corpse of a small brown bat that had flown down one of the 10 foot columns and obviously couldn't find its way out. And now I know why! My friend S. explained that bats cannot fly up like birds can. To take flight, they must start out by flying in a downward motion. Once in the air, they can swoop all over the place, but they cannot begin their flight without a downward start. Isn't that amazing? That is Magic School Bus info right there.

I have to say, each of my friends is so diverse and amazing in completely different ways and I learn from them all. I am truly fortunate because I don't know under what other circumstances I would have the opportunity to meet so many cool and unique women that bring so much to the table. I know all of those Mommy Lit books (not that I waste my time reading that kind of fluff, cough, cough) always have the protagonist attend some insipid Mommy & Me class only to discover she's in a room full of former vice presidents of corporations and what not, but my friends' pre-Mommy lives are significantly more interesting than that and what's more, they each have these amazing hearts that make them exquisite mothers and friends. I've never had so many people to whom I can show my ugliest self and they still embrace me.

I really had plans to dismantle the garden today, especially as it's much more like a jungle than a garden, but it was just too hot. We could barely stand to decorate the pumpkins. Stella was panting up a storm.

I had the yummiest drink at a Thai place last night: it was crushed pineapple and vanilla ice cream. How great is that? I could go for one right now.

I ordered a super cool hair ornament today. I can't wait to wear it. And I've been searching and searching for the nose ring of my dreams and I cannot find it. I did buy one, but it wasn't right. Maybe they don't make them anymore? Maybe it's an 80s thing? I want to start switching it out. And I had all these tattoos I was going to do, but now I'm thinking maybe I need to be done with that. I'm not good with permanency. I get bored too easily.

No comments: