Monday, February 1, 2010

Well, so I saw Food Inc. I'd been avoiding it because I knew it would be depressing and upsetting and make me privy to things I'd like to pretend weren't happening.

And although I did cry through a good bit of it, it did strengthen my resolve to be even more pro-active about the food I bring into this house, to be even more hyper-vigilant, to stop buying foods that are out of season, to absolutely 100% boycott certain brands, and to go out of my way to hit farmer's markets over grocery stores. I think I'm going to ask around and look into local farms that I can actually go to to buy things because after seeing the way chickens are treated, I am beyond glad that I buy our eggs from a friend who raises her own chickens that have the run of the yard, eat insects, grass, clover, organic feed, have names, can be held by the children...I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but still, there is a way animals can be treated with respect and kindness during their lifespan, even if you are going to eat them eventually.

I think my biggest shocks (which will undoubtedly paint me as woefully naive) were how deeply entrenched in this mess was not just the government, but the FDA, the people I thought tried to protect us and keep us safe. And I was definitely bummed to learn that what I think of as "safe" companies, like Tom's of Maine and Kashi are owned by giant corporations who most definitely do not give a rat's if our food is safe or comes from a sustainable-practicing source. But then again, how in the world did I think these brands were suddenly mainstream in our grocery stores and no longer simply dusty brands at the local health food market? How did I think they were competing with the big kids? Of course they were owned by their competitors. Dumb me for thinking otherwise.

So, in hindsight, even though it was extremely sad, I'm glad I saw it because I want to be an informed consumer. I don't want to keep on the blinders and pretend that our food is safe when deep down, I know that it isn't.

Our visit from our Italian pal last year confirmed it, as I have written before but will subject you all to again. he was here for a week, eating standard American take-out food (ie NOT food that I cooked) and while Duke didn't gain any weight, our friend's pants got so tight he couldn't button them and he gained six pounds. In a week. Because there's something f*ed up with our food! It's not fresh. In Italy, our friend's family goes to the market every day or every other day to pick-up fresh produce, fresh cheese, fresh pasta, and fresh bread. Everything is fresh. It doesn't have preservatives. It's not genetically modified.It's not meant to travel. It's not meant to hang out on the grocery shelves. It's not meant to languish in your kitchen. It's meant to be eaten. And it truly does taste different and better and is better received by your body because they eat giant portions of what we deem "bad" food and people simply aren't overweight as they are here.

Anyway, so there's that.

Also, a story I sent out for publication was REJECTED. Ugh. I haven't submitted anything for so long, I forgot how terrible it feels to receive a rejection letter.

Time to thwart the food companies and make a healthy breakfast.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Ugh. Thinking that I definitely don't want to watch either but also definitely should.

I didn't learn, until college, that those pens they use for calves were to help produce better tasting veal. I thought the farmers were just giving the calves nice little living accommodations. That's how naive I am.