Sunday, February 7, 2010

I want to start composting (yes, I am aware I've been talking about this for several years now. And so of course it's normal for you to be all, What the what? Why don't you stop flapping your keyboard, get off your duff and do it already?!?) but it just seems so daunting. Even with the lovely step-by-step picture book my sister gave me for Christmas. I can figure out the inside part. Instead of scraping plates into the trash and/or garbage disposal, you scrape them into a small covered container on your counter. I've seen people do it. I can do that. It's just the next part that confuses me. What do you do next? Build a contraption in your yard? How do you prevent flies from littering it with maggots? How do you prevent it from smelling? What about the whole turning business? And then what do you do? Spread it in your garden? Isn't that kin of gross? I mean, eggshell and leaves in my garden are fine, but Mort's leftover sandwich crusts from September might be a little nasty.

So very done with the snow. It's not fun. It's not good snow. Spring. Please. spring.

Hmm. I had a very funny photo of our half-buried snowman (I'm not being politically incorrect and/or using sexist language, it really was a snowman) that looked as though it was waving its stick arms and yelling for help, but all of my thousands of photos in iphoto seem to have disappeared. I think this is a job for Duke.

1 comment:

Kerouaced said...

I had a compost pile for years. I used chicken wire and made a cylinder with it. Unfortunately I was moving the pile and left the chicken wire contraption too close to my trash--fifty feet away--and the trash men took it. I have to build another one.