Thursday, January 1, 2009

Out of sorts

I think I am the only person in America who did not purchase a Wii for my preschooler this year. Okay, I know that's not true. Luckily, I have a wonderful group of friends who do not subscribe to the video game mentality either, or else I would feel like I needed to move to a freaky-deaky commune in the middle of nowhere with no electricity in order to raise my child in a fashion that makes sense to me.

I am growing so weary of going to parties where everyone plops plops their child down in front of the Wii and/or all the kids huddle around the one child playing a Gameboy or whatever the latest handheld video game device is called--do they even still make Gameboys?---and watch that kid push buttons. 

Ya know, if you take away that video game, the kids will still not tear you away from your glass of wine. They will instead interact with each other and make-up games or play dinosaurs or puzzles or have a dance party or build what they are deeming robots or chase each other or draw treasure maps. Kids enjoy each other's company. Kids LIKE to play and use their imagination if you give them the opportunity to do so. I know it's a radical idea, but I witness it at least once a week with my very own eyes! Put a bunch of kids in a room together and they will come up with their own idea of fun that involves nothing more than their minds. They will laugh and yell and be thoroughly engaged. 

Kids do not need electronic equipment to have a good time. Honest. I have even been to parties where the parents have orchestrated a game of duck, duck goose or musical chairs and in one instance even made-up a game for the kids and everyone had a good time. I know it seems crazy, but it's true.

Ugh. Anyway. And to the pet shop owner who feels he is being "unfairly targeted just because I bashed a kitten's head in against a dumpster ten years ago"? Yeah. I'm pretty certain I can guess what hell is going to look like for you. I'm thinking teeny-tiny  feces covered cage that allows you no room to turn around and a daily death by having your head bashed in...

P.S. If you eat fish, and/or shellfish, you aren't a vegetarian. 
P.P.S. Why in the world do I even care about this stuff? It has nothing to do with me and quite frankly, it's none of my business. Nobody is forcing me to buy a Wii, so why in the world does it matter what other people are doing in the privacy of their own home? Maybe that's the only time they hang out together as a family. I don't know. And I guess the vegetarian thing irks me because the people who are always the first and loudest to proclaim their vegetarian status are usually the ones who eat poultry and fish. The people who haven't eaten anything with a face for  at least a decade never mention it. Again, it couldn't have less to do with me. No idea why I feel the need to comment. Maybe my New Year's Resolution should be to do less judging.

No comments: