Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

It's possible that that quote may be attributed to someone else, but I always attribute it to my Mom.

On today's first day of the rest of my life, I dropped Mort off at school and then agonized over whether or not he was dressed warmly enough for today's field trip. But first I stopped the car in the middle of the road and gasped, "I forgot your lunch!"

Mort calmly started to unzipper his backpack. (Yes, this is why I was blessed with a laid back child. If the entire house consisted of the high-octane fuel of Stella and me it would implode.) "No, it's in here," he called and went back to singing Blondie.

And then Stella and I went for a walk. When she and I were in our primes, we used to be able to tear-up 3.5 miles in just over 30 minutes. Walking. You don't have to be impressed. I'm impressed enough for us both.

Today, we did it in 45. Which is not too bad, all things considered.

I cleaned-out Fuzzy Wuzzy's jar and gave him fresh grass.

I got the go-ahead to be a parent volunteer once a week in Mort's classroom where I will undoubtedly be known as Mrs. Mort's Mommy.

And now I'm going to try and cram in an entire week's worth of classwork into this afternoon so that my schedule is clear to do actual paid editing work. It's really a very good thing I already have a year's worth of copy editing under my belt, because this class would have convinced me that I just couldn't cut it. Luckily I know that there is not a client int he world who is going to ask me to identify the indirect object in a sentence. Because they don't care, as long as I fix it.

And at some point I plan filling up my bike tires with air so that Mort can not go bike riding with me after school. Life. First day.


1 comment:

Kerouaced said...

Where are you taking your class?