Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I made a bit of a promise that I was going to keep you all up-to-date on Mort's lunch progress. And then I forgot about it. Because I was trying to determine the difference between a phrase and a dependent clause. And because my sister got married.

So, a quick update: It's not going well. I bought a Batman thermos thing-y that swears on Robin's life that food will stay hot for 5 hours. Which is not really an issue as Mort eats lunch at 9:45. I made Mort soup in the thermos. The same soup of which he can consume two entire pots in the privacy of his own home. The thermos returned home full. Fail. I filled the thermos with mac & cheese, a dish that Mort had been requesting. He didn't like it. I broke down and bought Mort his favorite sandwich from Subway and put that in his lunchbox. It made Mort cry tears of rage with how much he hated it. Yesterday, Mort's snacks returned home uneaten as well. Why? Because he felt there were too many crackers in the snack container. And then he proceeded to eat in the span of one hour: a plate of pineapple, a sliced apple, a yogurt, a glass of milk, a grilled cheese, a handful of baby carrots,a granola bar, a piece of raisin bread, and an ice cream cone. Had I put any of that in his lunchbox, he would have shown me no mercy.

He is also angry because the women who help out at lunch encourage him to eat what I have packed for him because" it's a great, healthy lunch!" Can I tell you how furious he was with me for making him a healthy lunch that people admire?

Should I just give in and let him buy lunch so that he can see how good he has it? Because no one there is going to slice his goulash surprise into triangles like Mommy.



No comments: