Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I feel compelled to remove the 927 weeds that have hijacked my garden, despite the fact that I will need to wear my ski jacket and snow pants to do so. Okay, it's not actually snowing today. But it did snow yesterday.

I had hoped for a brief spell that the weeds were really some unknown vegetable I had planted, but as they are all over the garden and in spots that I have not yet planted, I guess I need to let that thought go. Aside from the weeds, things seem to be steadily progressing in GardenWorld. Arugula is up. Broccoli rabe is up. Spinach is up. Strawberries are growing. My housebound plants are making progress: four tomato plants, two jalapeno plants and three yellow pepper plants.

This whole growing thing just doesn't get old. Each little shoot of unfurling green is as thrilling as the one before it. It's a good spot to focus my hope. Especially as there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. They all have the same soil, the same amount of sunlight, the same amount of water. Who is to say why four tomato plants are reaching for the sky while six remain locked in the dirt?

No comments: