Monday, May 11, 2009

Well, well, well. If it isn't my old friend Heating Pad.

It was so beautiful yesterday. The kind of spring day that cause me to wonder if it ever existed or is a memory I've stolen from a movie or an advertisement. Jeans and t-shirt weather. Glorious sunshine, blue skies and puffy white clouds. A little kid laughing and shrieking with the hose, drenching their sneakers and chasing daddy.

I couldn't stay away from the garden. I weeded and repaired four wheelbarrows worth of soil and rocks. I put-up chicken wire in my latest move against my rabbit foes. I planted marigolds and roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes and brandywine tomatoes. I planted yellow and green peppers. I planted oregano and basil. I cleaned-up the broccoli rabe, the broccoli, baby carrots, arugula, spinach and lettuce. I planted borage. I worked and worked and worked and it was outstanding. And then I realized my back hurt. And today I am in rehab-dictated position with a heating pad.

I should have skipped the aleve and gone straight for the prescription stuff.

And I see my garden out there, still needing me to finish weeding, still needing me to plant jalapenos, Thai chili peppers, orange peppers, cilantro, onions, soybean and corn. And I can't do a damn thing.

We visited my sister and her fiance at their Airstream yesterday, and now Mort is very vocal and intent on his desire for a "moving home." And really, no one could blame him, because it is super-cool, but eventually I had to tell him to get a job and start saving. And then Duke and I laughed and laughed.


No comments: