Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I am uncertain whether or not to be horrified or pleased by my son's faith. Or lack thereof.

We went through our usual ritual surrounding all meals and snacks.
"Mooooommmmmmmmy! I'm hungry!"

"Okay, what would you like?"

"I dunno. What do we have?"

This is the part where I list every food item in our home, a couple non-food items for my own amusement and all the possible ways in which one could combine them. And then he scrunches up his face in disgust and disappointment and asks, "That's IT?"

Except for the time I said, "How about some steamed broccoli?"
And he said, "That sounds nice!"
That was a good day.

Anyway, tonight when I landed on the chicken option, he paused and mulled it over. Then he said, "Do you promise it won't be the kind of chicken you gave me last time that made me throw-up?"

For the record, it was fish. I thought if I just didn't address the fact that it didn't look or smell like the chicken it was beside on the plate, he wouldn't notice and I would have successfully added another food to his repertoire. But he ate it and promptly gagged and threw-up. However, since he doesn't know it was fish, that means I can try again at a later date. Not that particular kind of fish, mind you. Just fish in general.



No comments: