Sunday, August 2, 2009

On a whim, I grabbed a book at the library titled 101 Things to do Before You Turn 40.
I would be hard-pressed to sit down and actually read it, but I did skim the major points.  And in doing so realized that either I have had a very full life, or the author has led a very sheltered one. Regardless, it was fun to mull over my list, should I have one while on the treadmill this morning. 

Looking back at the past decade, however, does make me believe that most of my best adventures were had by living life, not by making a list. Hold On! Something by the swingset--is it my fox, need to grab binoculars...and,no. Just more rabbits. Good Lord, does every rabbit in the tri-state area live in our backyard? Also, do other states refer to the tri-state area or just where I live? 
Anyway. So, my time-capsule of the past decade seems pretty much like I couldn't have dreamed it up prior to its happening.  Marriage to my best, 400 mile move, became college graduate, sold a short story, was pregnant twice, became a mommy, actually needed to start coloring my hair for more than fun,learned to make good salsa and a proper margarita, overcame fear of travel to countries where I didn't speak the language, grew a garden,had to choose between surgery or physical therapy,got a job utilizing my actual skills and education, made true friends. What I would like to see happen in the next decade? Run a 5k? Gather more work?Take up Pilates?Learn to be handy? Travel across the country? I really can't imagine.

No comments: