Monday, April 26, 2010

I've seen quite a few movies as of late, but I don't have time to review them all in depth. I can mention however, that I can't believe that there are two men who go check out a movie together in this day and age that STILL make certain to leave one empty seat in between them so that no one will suspect that they're gay. Really? Has anyone ever seen two people sitting together in a movie theater and even had a thought about those two people cross their mind at all? I mean, it's one thing if it's someone who has lugged a wee child to watch a movie that is inappropriate for children. Because then I am all about judging them.

But any other match-up of folks just doesn't interest me. Unless they do something ridiculous like leave an empty seat between them, thus making it obvious that they are terrified that someone will think they don't like girls. Because they do! See! That empty seat vouches for them! Now as a girl type person, I can assure them that any female worth her salt (is that an expression?) will absolutely see that empty seat and never ever give them the time of day. Because who the heck would want to interact with someone that grotesquely insecure with a faint whiff of homophobia?

So: Date Night is terrible. I know, I know, it seems like you can't lose with a Tina Fey/Steve Carrell match-up. Trust me. You lose big time bad.

An Education: Slow. Boring. Duke likened it to Vision Quest without the thematic music.
How to Train Your Dragon: really really good--until it's way too harsh and cruel for the age set they are looking to attract (and their moms who may have sobbed uncontrollably).
Where the Wild Things Are: I had to turn it off after approximately four minutes. I saw two scenes. Both were disturbing to the point that I couldn't do it. I don't like suffering in my entertainment! I don't like animals to suffer or children or animated dragons. And y'know what else: I know everyone makes a big ta do about this book but I never liked it! So there!
Afghan Star: Really, really good. With the added bonus of making me better appreciate how fortunate I am to have been born in this country.Sometimes with all the other stuff that makes me crazy, I forget that there are rights that I have that I take for granted. Like dancing. Or showing my hair. Or getting an education. Also, the song lyrics in the movie are outstanding. Such as: The curve of your eyebrow stings like a scorpion. As Duke pointed out, however, it's no: She's got dumps like a truck (The Thong Song).

No comments: