Saturday, April 3, 2010

I think I am a gym addict. Because I have not been to the gym since this whole spring break thing began and I had to resume life as a stay at home mom and I have yet to sleep through the night. From 2:30 to 5 or 6, you can find me clicking through the free movies on On Demand. Where the heck has my beloved Roseanne gone? Last night Duke joined me and we watched Chelsea Lately and laughed and laughed. Because she is damn funny.

Now it's not like I haven't been working out. In fact, I can barely type because my forearms feel as useless as if I was a Tyrannosaurus. Because it's gardening time, y'all. And I am in it to win it this year. I tend to always talk a big game, but this year I have the backing of a friend who actually follows through. And she is lending that talent to me.

Me: "Yeah, I need to order some good soil this year."

My friend, "I just ordered my soil and it's being delivered tomorrow. You should call now before they close." And I did! And then to top it all off, I was forced to weed and de-rock my garden so that said soil could be placed on it. Which took about 36 trips with the wheelbarrow by Duke and 3 trips with a bucket whilst wearing bunny ears by Mort. Granted we still have another two tons on our driveway, but that is not the point.

Me: "I think I need to rent a rototiller."

My friend: " Let's both go in on it and get both our gardens done. How about Thursday?"

And then she was so charming to the rototiller rental men that they got big goofy grins on their faces and they gave us a discount. And free gas. And free ramps to get it in and out of the car because it weighed 742 pounds. Between two moms and three children, two proper shovels, two snow shovels, one child's shovel and a rake, my garden is ready to plant!

And I know you will all be excited to hear that my back doesn't even hurt. So I think I'm on the right track at the gym with building this back of steel to keep all the discs where God put 'em. Because I have never before gardened without back pain. This is my year. Do you hear me rabbits and tomato hornworms and grossy bugs being milked by ants? This is my year! I will not have you ruining this for me.

Today I'm planting spinach and sunflowers. And potato. It's not a word that starts with "s" so it doesn't really flow as smoothly. But that's what's going down.

No comments: