Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Generally, I no longer read the big glossy magazines that have very little in the way of articles but quite a bit in the way of fashion. I used to read them because at one point, I felt that I really really really needed to know what was in and what was out. I wanted to remain abreast of these things for when I was grown-up and had a life that might necessitate me wearing a t-shirt that cost $1000 instead of buying the $11 Target knock-off. And then I turned 20.(And no , we didn't really have Target back then. Nor did we have the Internet, hence my dependence on actual periodicals for my connection to the world beyond my town.)

And then at some point I realized it was fine to like what I like when I like it, regardless of whether it was in style. Last year I was desperate for a jumpsuit. Desperate. I made several trips to Big Cities in search of one. I contemplated buying one that was a truly indecent sum of money just because I couldn't imagine living another minute without one. I finally found one at a brand-names-for-less store that cost but a song. And I've worn it once. Who knew that a jumpsuit would not be exactly what I needed to run errands and go to the gym and volunteer at kindergarten and work from home? It seemed so all-purpose at the time.

And fast-forward one year later, jumpsuits and their cousin the romper are in every store, including my favorite staple for all things: Target. And I live in a pair of yoga pants and sports bra/tank-top not-cute sneakers combo just like every other mom who drives her child to school. We are fashion forward, you see. My look is totally ironic. It's a social commentary on the state of the nation.Wait until Anna Wintour catches on to the tongue-in-cheek suburban mommy look! I'm just ahead of the curve. Although I could really use a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress for my gardening purposes.

I did have a point. An almost related one. So, I wanted to look at the pretty pictures of the pretty people and I checked out a slew of fat, non reading magazines from the library. And discovered that the latest way to wear a purse is apparently to be naked in bed, save for jewelry or perhaps a fur and to languidly brandish your pocketbook. I'm so behind the times! Kate Moss and Julianne Moore are all glamour in bed with their bags. But I am going to have to guess that their purses do not contain crayons and old lists and Purell and child-friendly snacks and weigh as much as a small dog. They probably don't toss their purse into a gross gym locker or set it down on the floor or grass or classroom desk. In other words, I am not the target market for these designer bags. Because I look at those ads and I don't even see the bags in question. I see instead how silly it looks to be naked in bed with your purse. And how potentially unsanitary.

Okay, so maybe that wasn't a related point exactly.

Although yesterday a stranger behind me in line at the grocery store noticed I was buying a product for which she had a coupon and she insisted I use it. How nice is that?


No comments: