Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I must take a moment to post a note of happiness. You may suspect that this is because I'm thinking I can convince everyone to have pizza for dinner. You would be partially correct.

I am happy because I have a job that I love. A job in which I can work whatever hours I choose so long as I get said work accomplished. And that means that today I got to help out in Mort's classroom. And I love doing that. I love the kids that pass me in the hallway yelling, "Hi, Mort's Mommy!" I love the kids who respond so joyously to the slightest amount of encouragement and praise. I love the kids who look worried and watch their faces shine when they realize they have correctly sounded out and spelled every word on their own with no hinting on my part. I love their sticky little hands waving good-bye. I know that I do not have what it takes to be a teacher, but when everything goes as it should, what a rewarding job that must be.

And then I went shopping for the 742 upcoming birthday parties Mort is attending. And then I received the results of my latest exam and I finally did well. Maybe because it was the closest thing to actual editing that we have done this semester and I wasn't required to identity any phrase or clauses or parts of speech. The professor actually wrote "Good job" on my exam. You are never too old to be immune to the smiley face sticker equivalent. And as much as I've wrung my hands over this course, it has absolutely improved my skill set.

And then I worked. I caught errors and rewrote sentences and marveled at my good fortune. I'm nearly done with this particular job and I'm feeling confident that I will be hired again by this client. At least I feel that way today. Because today is the day that I shall suggest pizza for dinner. A very good day indeed.

1 comment:

Kerouaced said...

Congratulations on doing well on your exam...