Monday, November 16, 2009

Another Mort-ism.

He wanted to know what my job was and he wasn't pleased when I replied, "Mommy."

"No," he said with exasperation, "your real job."

"That is my real job. That's my most important job. Ever."

Stony silence.

"The one I get paid for?" I asked.

"Yes."

So, I tried to explain to him what I did as an editor and how I fixed other people's words.

Mort was nodding sagely. "Like if someone wrote 'dog' but they meant 'cat,' you would put a red X over 'dog.'"

And so I agreed that that was pretty much the gist of it.

A couple of months later, Mort was telling people he was an author (he's very busy writing books that have chapters, so I'm going to have to agree with him on this one).

"You're a writer like your Mommy!" a lovely grown-up said to him.

"No. My Mommy is a fixer."



No comments: