Sunday, July 19, 2009

Do you know what sucks (besides wasp nests under the sliding board and oregano that won't grow)? The Complete Idiot's Guide to Raising Boys.

Periodically I like to torture myself by reading a myriad of how-to books regarding child rearing. Sometimes they are helpful in reminding me to be fully present and in the moment with my child when I'm with him, and not thinking of what I have to buy at the grocery store for dinner or when the next season of Project Runway will begin. Sometimes I glean insight as to why time-outs aren't always working (because I'm doing them incorrectly and not using consistency and/or first giving a warning and allowing my child time to correct his own behavior) or that using a calm voice of explanation can go a lot further than screeching. Thanks, Super Nanny!

And sometimes, like the Complete Idiot book, they remind me that common sense and unconditional love will always triumph over regurgitating old stereotypes and passing them off as truth. Boys aren't verbal! Boys don't like to read! Boys just want to run around and whack things with sticks! Boys want to marry their mothers and kill their fathers! 

DUDE. Thank God the husband and wife team who penned the book do not live anywhere near me, so my child will not be interacting with their freaks. Plus, they named one of their kids Bjorn. Had I seen that, I would never have even picked-up the book.

No comments: